Monday, August 3, 2009

How busy life with 2 can be





Hi all,
So I think I am starting to get the hang of two babies. Not that Julia is a baby anymore. I can't believe she is about to be 2. People always told me that your children grow up fast - now I really understand what they mean.

I know that I have not been good about posting in recent months - let's just say things got crazy and didn't seem to slow down any. There were just some things I had to let go for a bit. But hopefully things are settling down. After chairing a community event for the Junior League in July I resigned from that deciding that I didn't want my evenings filled with meetings, committees, etc. when I really just wanted to spend time with Jody and the kids or just sleep... :) That was keeping me busy for a while along with family visits so everyone could meet JOhn Thomas.

Jody and I are adjusting to having two - it's amazing how quickly you forget how time consuming the new baby stage is. But we love it. The first day I was at home with both kids by myself afer all the family had left - they started crying at the same time as we were trying to get out the door. Not sure what to do, I just started to sing 'My Favorite Things' which is one of Julia's favorites. Somehow I managed to get to the store with both kids in tow - my first outing with both. It seemed like a formidable task at the time to go to the store with both - now I cannot recall why I was making such an issue about it. I've pretty much decided that if there was ever a time 'to go with the flow' it is when you have two kids under 2. Plans shouldn't be made and if they are expect them to be broken. Don't make phone calls when they are both awake b/c someone will start screaming and don't even think about taking a shower in peace...and I've determined that 5:30 is the hour when everyone decided to fall apart b/c they are all hungry at the same time.
And don't ever think baby#2 will have an uninteruptted meal. I don;t think John Thomas has had more than a handful of nursing times go uninterrupted. But at the end of the day I would not trade this time for anything. I am very fortunate that I can be at home with them and enjoy this time that goes too quickly.

Julia is being a great big sister. She likes to give 'Johnny' (as she calls him) his paci and cover him with blankets when he is upset if I cannot get to him quickly. She really seems to enjoy having him around - we still try to ensure that she has one on one time with Mommy and Daddy too though. She is in swimming lessons and still goes to a gymnastics class on Saturday - some great time with Daddy.
This summer she has been enjoying spending time with her friends at the park and in the backyards...running around and getting tan. One of her friends - Holden - moved to Denver in May - she misses her - and I think the mommies miss each other - I know I miss my Chick fil A breakfasts with the moms - but we try to get together at least once every couple weeks by taking a little trip up the road. Jules still gets to see her friend Emily alot though. We are going to be having their 2nd b-day party together in the next couple weeks.


John Thomas is getting big - 3 months now - smiling at us and starting to coo and make all kinds of noises. He is a pretty good sleeper at night and I am working towards getting both kids on the same nap schedule. I am grateful that I can get them both to bed at about the same time. John Thomas seems happiest when he is naked as a bird - coos and giggles and kicks his feet. I think he'd prefer to stay that way if possible. Oh, the simple things that make babies happy.

We took a trip up to Frisco in July for a quick little get away. I am thankful that we are so close to the mountains and can enjoy a few days away like that - we relaxed and took some hikes. Just enjoyed the change of scenery.

I promise to be better about keeping up with the posts. Love to everyone!

2 comments:

Island Girl said...

Thanks for the update and great pictures! They are both so beautiful! (Nannies have the privilege of commenting like that anytime they choose!) God has blessed you and Jody so greatly.
Love, Mom, aka Nannie

Dana said...

Hey! Thanks for the update! Beautiful family! Miss you!
Love, D